Sea Kayak Certification in BC
There are two main bodies providing certification-based training for paddlers in Canada, the Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of British Columbia and Paddle Canada. In addition, custom training is available from a number of organizations including Ocean River Adventures.
Ocean River employs Paddle Canada and/or Sea Kayak Guide Alliance of BC trained instructors in order to give the safest and highest quality tours possible.
Paddle Canada’s Mission Statement 2013 (DRAFT)
Paddle Canada has a very clear mission statement on the paddlingcanada.com about page.
To promote all forms of recreational paddling emphasizing safety & instruction, to Canadians of diverse abilities, culture and ages and to thus deepen our collective appreciation of our land and paddling heritage.
Paddle Canada values the following as part of its activities:
- Safety – We promote and teach the safe use of canoes, kayaks and SUP.
- Educational Programs- We train our instructors to certify people in the knowledge & skills of safe and enjoyable canoeing, kayaking and stand up paddle-boarding.
- Environmental Awareness – We help develop a love and respect for our natural resources.
- Heritage – We nurture understanding of the place of the canoe and the kayak in our Canadian heritage.
Sea Kayak Guide Alliance of British Columbia Mission Statement
The official Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of BC website is located at skgabc.org.
To establish, promote and maintain high standards of sea kayaking safety, conduct, and representation through an alliance of professionals.
The Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of British Columbia (SKGABC) membership includes professional guides and operators. The SKGABC is a leader in promoting sea kayaking in British Columbia and in providing services to its members.
- Promotion of industry recognized operating and safety standards
- Professional training and certification of guides
- A unified voice to represent the commercial sea kayak industry in British Columbia
- Opportunities for networking and professional development in twice-annual Guide Exchanges
- The dedication to develop a sustainable, competitive commercial sea kayak industry
Since 1994 over 1000 people have been involved with the Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of BC. There are currently over 600 active members in the SKGABC, including guides and owner/operators. The SKGABC is proud to have 300 certified guides as members. Guides are certified to four different levels.