Located in Victoria, British Columbia on beautiful Vancouver Island, Ocean River is one of the premier speciality kayak and adventure companies in North America. Brian Henry, the founder & current owner, has been running Ocean River since 1981, and Ocean River continues to be recognised as one of the most significant outdoor/paddlesports instructional & tours provider in North America.
Sea Kayak Certification in BC
There are two main bodies providing certification-based training for paddlers in Canada, the Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of British Columbia and Paddle Canada. In addition, custom training is available from a number of organizations including Ocean River Adventures.
Ocean River employs Paddle Canada and/or Sea Kayak Guide Alliance of BC trained instructors and guides in order to give the safest and highest quality courses and tours possible.
Paddle Canada’s Mission Statement
Paddle Canada has a very clear mission statement on the About Paddle Canada page.
To promote recreational paddling instruction, safety and environmental awareness to all Canadians.
Paddle Canada’s Four Priorities:
- Public awareness and membership
- Engaging youth in paddling skills and safety
- Instruction and skill development
- Partnerships with similar organizations
Sea Kayak Guide Alliance of British Columbia Mission Statement
The official Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of BC website is located at www.skgabc.com.
It’s mission is to establish, promote and maintain high standards of sea kayaking safety, conduct, and representation through an alliance of professionals.
The Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of British Columbia (SKGABC) membership includes professional guides and operators. The SKGABC is a leader in promoting sea kayaking in British Columbia and in providing services to its members.
- Promotion of industry recognized operating and safety standards
- Professional training and certification of guides
- A unified voice to represent the commercial sea kayak industry in British Columbia
- Opportunities for networking and professional development in twice-annual Guide Exchanges
- The dedication to develop a sustainable, competitive commercial sea kayak industry
Since 1994 over 1000 people have been involved with the Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of BC. There are currently over 600 active members in the SKGABC, including guides and owner/operators. The SKGABC is proud to have 300 certified guides as members. Guides are certified to four different levels. An additional 200 guides are currently in the process of completing their certification as kayak guides.