- Equipment List
- Waiver/Medical Forms
Explore the nooks and crannies of this scenic ocean coastline and check out the marine life on nearby islets. This relaxing and fun tour will bring you along historic Oak Bay’s coastline.
With the Olympic Mountains to the south and Gulf Islands and San Juan Islands to the east, there is always a vista that will take your breath away. Oak Bay features pristine kayaking on southern Vancouver Island.
Our qualified guides will give you more than just a paddle, they will give you an experience to be remembered!
Please arrive to meet your guide at our ‘Oak Bay Paddle Shack‘ on the dock at Oak Bay Marina at 9:45 am. The Oak Bay Marina is located at 1327 Beach Drive. If you are driving, there is free parking in the Oak Bay Marina parking lot. Our ‘Paddle Shack’ is located on the docks, simply follow the signs through the marina entrance.
Your tour includes the following:
• After meeting and greeting your guide and other tour members, you will be provided with a paddling orientation, which will include the features of the kayak, personal paddling equipment, group safety protocol, and the strokes that will make paddling and maneuvering the kayak enjoyable.
• Entering the waters of Oak Bay with the scenic vistas of the Olympic Mountains and Mt. Baker as our backdrop, we will explore along the rocky coastline beyond Willows Beach and Mary Tod Island. Depending on tides and weather conditions, we will venture out to the Harbour Seal rookeries where various species of sea birds can also observed, or even reach Jemmy Jones Island, where cormorants can be spotted.
• Making our return to the Oak Bay Marina, your guide can share stories of the unique natural and cultural history of the Oak Bay area, as you keep an eye out in the water for several species of jellyfish and the shoreline for river otters, herons, and intertidal life. The tour tour concludes at 1:00 pm, back at the Oak Bay Paddle Shack. Check out the marina’s great cafe or restaurant for lunch!
Full Itinerary – PDF: Tour Itinerary: Oak Bay Shoreline Kayak Tour
Please read the following equipment list carefully, as it indicates what you will need to bring with you to help ensure you enjoy a comfortable tour.
Ocean River Sports stocks many of the items listed below. If you need advice or would like to purchase gear, please visit us or check out our online store!
Cotton keeps you cold when it’s wet, and takes a long time to dry. If possible, bring clothing designed for outdoor wear and made from Merino (wool), silk, or synthetic materials, such as Capilene™, polyester, polypropylene, or nylon.
- Eyeglass retainer strap if you wear glasses
- Sunglasses, sunscreen
- A broad-brimmed sun/rain hat
- Clothing like you might wear for a short hike (dress in appropriate layers depending, on the weather). Bring a light rain jacket on days when there is a chance of rain. If you don’t have one, we can provide you with a waterproof paddling jacket.
- Low-heeled shoes that you can get wet—and a bit muddy (e.g., sport sandals with a strap, water shoes, or old running shoes). Alternately, you can borrow a pair of neoprene booties from us.
- Water and snack (optional)
- A watertight plastic bag for electronics (optional)
- A camera (optional)
We cannot be responsible for damage to or loss of your items, so please ensure valuables are stored securely in watertight plastic bags or dry bags and placed in the watertight storage compartments of your kayak.
Please review the following form prior to your program. Please sign/initial the form in the presence of your instructor/guide, who will act as your witness.
“Great way to spend a morning ”
5 out of 5 – Reviewed June 2016
Had a great morning out on the water. I took the Oak Bay shore tour out of the Oak Bay Marina. Our guide was fantastic and very knowledgeable and helpful. He had some great stories about the different areas we were seeing and even had a few helpful pointers for a novice like me. If you haven’t seen Oak Bay from the water this is a great and fairly easy tour for you. Highly recommended. – Gregg“a different way to see things”
5 of 5 stars – Reviewed September 2016
Had a great trip out of Oak Bay in kayaks with Nathan Troost, our guide, whose knowledge and anecdotes were educational and entertaining at the same time, all the while feeling safe and enjoying the calm way of travelling along the shoreline. Would definitely recommend it – I was a novice myself and didn’t worry after the first few paddle strokes – these kayaks are much more stable than they look! And we got really close to seals, herons and other wildlife. a big thank for a great time out. – SabOxon
“Great fun in Oak Bay”
5 of 5 stars – Reviewed August, 2015
Our family of four (two boys ages 13 and 10) took an evening guided kayaking tour of the Oak Bay. Our guides (college age) were fun to be with. The trip takes you through the marina and along the Oak Bay shores of Victoria. The pace was relaxed and suitable for various paddling skill levels. – Jacek
“Oak Bay Kayak tour”
5 of 5 stars – Reviewed July, 2015
Ocean River has just opened a satellite office at Oak Bay Marina with rentals and tours available. We have rented kayaks from Ocean River before but always downtown. Since we live in Oak Bay it is a real thrill to now have access to kayaks to explore the beautiful harbours around here. Since the waters around Oak Bay can vary in currents we went out with a guide to get familiar with the area. We went out on a spectacularly sunny Canada Day with Rubin, our guide. Rubin was full of great information […]
If you are thinking of going for a kayak either from downtown or now Oak Bay, we would highly recommend choosing Ocean River for their quality boats and equipment to their qualified staff and high safety standards. – Smallaces
Daily: June 1 - Sept 15
If you don't see a time or date that works, contact us to arrange your own time or date!
3 Hours: 9:30AM – 12:30PM
Oak Bay Paddle Shack, at the Oak Bay Marina - 1327 Beach Drive in Oak Bay
$75 - children under 12 are ½ price
Suitable for the entire family
No experience necessary