- Equipment List
- Waiver/Medical Forms
Norm Hann brings his lifetime of coaching, teaching and guiding experience to help you build a strong instructional and teaching foundation. This Paddle Canada Flatwater Instructor course is an enriching, informative two-day program for aspiring standup paddleboard instructors, retail and rental staff, fitness professionals, and those interested in becoming effective teachers. Candidates will be assessed on their ability to organize, implement, and safely run a standup paddleboard flatwater skills course.
Please note: Once you are booked in this course, all Instructor Candidates must register for this course via the Paddle Canada website with the Course ID 60436. All Instructor Candidate registrations must be completed no later than the first day of the course; no retroactive registrations will be allowed without the permission of Paddle Canada.
Meet your instructor(s) and other participants at Ocean River Sports, 1630 Store Street, Victoria, BC. Please arrive approximately 15 minutes early for your program.
If you are driving, there is pay parking available beside Ocean River Sports or in other pay parking lots in the downtown area. You are responsible for payment of the parking fee. If you are parking a vehicle, we cannot be responsible for damage to or loss of your personal items, so please don’t leave valuables locked in your vehicle.
• Learn how to instruct effectively through planning and use of teaching models.
• Learn to clearly and confidently instruct groups in an outdoor environment.
• Develop your leadership skills and manage groups safely on the water.
- Standup paddleboard effective for teaching
- Surf or coil leash
- Throw bag
- PFD with sound signaling device
- Warm clothing and footwear
- Immersion clothing (wetsuit or preferably dry suit)
- Water bottle or thermos for hot liquids
*Standup paddleboard equipment rentals are available if you do not have your own gear or do not want to bring your own gear. Board, paddle, leash and PFD will be available for $75 for the weekend.
- Basic First Aid and CPR. (you can get this certification after the course)
- Paddle Canada Instructor Candidate membership
- A minimum of PC Advanced Flat-water SUP skills course is required. Candidates are assumed to have a good grasp of these skills such that they could present them confidently. There will be opportunities to hone skills but this is not the venue to be learning the skills for the first time. The final assessment will consist of both land and water based activities plus a written test. Successful candidates will receive a Paddle Canada Intro to Flatwater SUP or Advanced Flatwater SUP Instructor Certification.
Please review the following forms prior to your program. Please sign/initial the forms in the presence of your instructor/guide, who will act as your witness.
If you don't see a time or date that works, contact us to arrange your own time or date!
8:30AM – 5:00PM
Ocean River Sports - 1630 Store Street, Victoria, BC
16 and up
Minimum of PC Advanced Flatwater SUP skills, or equivalent experience
See tab below for full requirements