- Equipment List
- Waiver/Medical Forms
This introductory course will teach about the basics of standup paddleboarding. By the end of this 3-hour session, you will be able to paddle your board in a straight line, stop, be able to do several different strokes to maneuver yourself sideways and around obstacles.
This course teaches you the necessary components for Paddle Canada Basic SUP Skills Certification.
Meet your instructor(s) and other participants at 9:30 am at Ocean River Sports, 1630 Store Street, Victoria, BC. Please arrive 10–15 minutes early for your program and check in at the Adventure Centre at the rear of the store. If you are driving, there is pay parking available directly beside Ocean River Sports or in other pay parking lots in the downtown area. You are responsible for payment of the parking fee. (Note: free roadside parking is available on Sundays). If you are parking a vehicle, we cannot be responsible for damage to or loss of your personal items, so please don’t leave valuables locked in your vehicle.
If you are bringing your own SUP, you can drive to the end of the parking lot beside Ocean River Sports to drop off your SUP, then carry it down the ramp to the dock.
If you are providing your own SUP for the program, please allow yourself enough time to unload your SUP. If you are renting a SUP from us, your SUP will be reserved for you and located on our dock.
After meeting and greeting all, we will be launching from our dock behind Ocean River Sports.
What Ocean River Sports Provides for Your Program
Ocean River provides the following equipment and supplies for your tour:
• Top quality paddleboards.
• Paddles, personal floatation devices, whistles.
• First aid and safety equipment.
What You Provide for Your Program
Please read the following equipment list carefully, as it indicates what you will need to bring with you on the program. Cotton keeps you cold when it’s wet, and takes a long time to dry. If possible, bring clothing designed for outdoor wear and made from Merino (wool), silk, or synthetic materials, such as Capilene™, polyester, polypropylene, or nylon.
Ocean River Sports stocks many of the items listed below. If you need advice or would like to purchase gear, check out our website at www.oceanriver.qa.caorda.com or call us!
Some items that are a good idea to bring along:
• Eyeglass retainer strap if you wear glasses
• Sunglasses, sunscreen
• A watertight plastic bag for electronics
• A camera
• A water bottle
• Comfortable outdoor pants and/or shorts (depending on the time of year) such as what you would wear for a light hike
• A bathing suit or swim shorts to wear under your wetsuit
• Long-sleeved, non cotton shirt or long underwear top to protect from the sun.
• Warm fleece pullover or Merino (wool) sweater to keep you warm in cooler weather.
• Hat for sun, rain, or warmth, depending on the weather. A broad rimmed hat works best.
• For your hands, you may wish to wear cycling type gloves. These should be snug fitting.
• Windbreaker (e.g. wool of fleece) to wear at lunch or after paddling
• Rain jacket
• A change of clothes placed in a marine dry bag (available at Ocean River Sports) or a small backpack. If your are using a backpack placing your clothes in a large plastic bag ensures these clothes stay dry in the event of capsize.
• Footwear for while paddling that can get wet, sport sandals are fine. Wetsuit booties, reef shoes and running shoes also work.
Please review the following forms prior to your program. Please sign/initial the forms in the presence of your instructor/guide, who will act as your witness.
If you don't see a time or date that works, contact us to arrange your own time or date!
3 Hours: 10:00AM - 1:00PM
Ocean River Sports, 1630 Store Street, Victoria, BC
16 and up
No experience necessary