If you don’t see a time or date that works, contact us to arrange your own time or date!
- Equipment List
- Waiver/Medical Forms
On our Oak Bay Evening Kayak Tour we’ll explore the nooks and crannies of this scenic ocean coastline and check out the marine life on the nearby islets on the Oak Bay Islands Ecological Reserve. This relaxing and fun tour will bring you along historic Oak Bay’s coastline at a beautiful time of day as the sun gently sets.
With the historic Oak Bay Beach hotel to the west and the Chatham Island, Discovery Island and U.S. San Juan Islands to the east, there is always a vista that will take your breath away. Oak Bay features pristine kayaking on southern Vancouver Island and on a clear night look way up and be amazed by the Milky Way.
Our Ocean River guides are all guaranteed to be the finest in the industry and will give you more than just a paddle, they will give you an experience to be remembered.
Our ‘Paddle Shack’ is located on the docks, simply follow the signs through the marina entrance.
Your tour includes the following:
• After meeting and greeting your guide and other tour members, you will be provided with a paddling orientation, which will include the features of the kayak, personal paddling equipment, group safety protocol, and the strokes that will make paddling and maneuvering the kayak enjoyable.
• Entering the waters of Oak Bay with the scenic vistas of the Olympic Mountains and Mt. Baker as our backdrop, we will explore along the rocky coastline beyond Willows Beach and Mary Tod Island. Depending on tides and weather conditions, we will venture out to the Harbour Seal rookeries where various species of sea birds can also observed, or reach Gonzales Point, where the setting sun can be seen across the full pink and purple expanse of the Olympic Mountain Range.
• Making our return to the Oak Bay Marina, your guide can share stories of the unique natural and cultural history of the Oak Bay area, as you keep an eye out in the water for several species of jellyfish and the shoreline for river otters, herons, and intertidal life. The tour tour concludes at 8:30 pm, back at the Oak Bay Paddle Shack, where you watch the stars come out from the Turkey Head walkway or enjoy the refined seafood and regional cuisine of the Marina Restaurant!
Full Itinerary – PDF: Tour Itinerary: Oak Bay Evening Kayak Tour
Please read the following equipment list carefully, as it indicates what you will need to bring with you to help ensure you enjoy a comfortable tour.
Ocean River Sports stocks many of the items listed below. If you need advice or would like to purchase gear, please visit us or check out our online store!
Cotton keeps you cold when it’s wet, and takes a long time to dry. If possible, bring clothing designed for outdoor wear and made from Merino (wool), silk, or synthetic materials, such as Capilene™, polyester, polypropylene, or nylon.
- Eyeglass retainer strap if you wear glasses
- Sunglasses, sunscreen
- A broad-brimmed sun/rain hat
- Clothing like you might wear for a short hike (dress in appropriate layers depending, on the weather). Bring a light rain jacket on days when there is a chance of rain. If you don’t have one, we can provide you with a waterproof paddling jacket.
- Low-heeled shoes that you can get wet—and a bit muddy (e.g., sport sandals with a strap, water shoes, or old running shoes). Alternately, you can borrow a pair of neoprene booties from us.
- Water and snack (optional)
- A watertight plastic bag for electronics (optional)
- A camera (optional)
We cannot be responsible for damage to or loss of your items, so please ensure valuables are stored securely in watertight plastic bags or dry bags and placed in the watertight storage compartments of your kayak.
Please review the following form prior to your program. Please sign/initial the form in the presence of your instructor/guide, who will act as your witness.