If you don’t see a time or date that works, contact us to arrange your own time or date!
- Equipment List
- Waiver/Medical Forms
Get the experience of a lifetime! Over five days, you’ll learn how to paddle a sea kayak, tip over, get back into a kayak, brace, tow another kayak, read charts (maps), and predict tides. Participants will explore Victoria’s most picturesque lakes as well as the ocean shorelines in our area. Safety, skill and lots of fun are the focus of this program! No previous experience is required. For ages 12–14 yrs.
On Day 1 through 3, participants will enjoy these fun, interesting, and exciting activities:
- Lots of fun kayaking & beach games!
- History of the sea kayak.
- Adjusting fit of a sea kayak
- Safety gear for sea kayaking
- How to get into a sea kayak
- Maneuvering a sea kayaking.
- Kayak tour of Elk Lake with a stop for swimming.
- Equipment care
- How to ‘fall in’ in sea kayak
- How to get back into your kayak from the water
- How to brace yourself
- How to tow another kayak
- Kayak leadership and teamwork
- How to read a chart (map)
- How to predict tides
- Day trip to Beaver Lake
Day 4 & 5
- Sea Kayak Trips on Oak Bay and Brentwood Bay to test our skills and check out all the amazing marine life, including sea stars, seals, and sea birds!
Our safety-conscious instructors are among the most highly trained and versatile on the coast. They will ensure you have a fun, interesting, safe, and enjoyable experience. Our maximum group size is 10 participants.
Parents or guardians are responsible for dropping off and picking up participants at various locations each day, as outlined below. For safety reasons, instructors are not able to transport participants to or from daily locations.
Please refer to our full itinerary for further details.
Full Itinerary – PDF: Program Itinerary – Youth Kayaking Camp (ages 12-14 yrs)
Ocean River Sports provides the following equipment and supplies for your program:
- Sea kayak.
- PFD (Personal Flotation Device): Canadian Coast Guard approved.
- Hand pump.
- Throw-line (buoyant heaving line at least 15 meters in length).
- Paddle float.
- Paddling jacket
- *Spare paddle (optional)
- *Sponge (optional): for drying out hatches
- Safety gear.
- First aid equipment
Please carefully refer to the full equipment list for the personal gear, clothing, food and water each participant is responsible bringing to the program. Ocean River Sports stocks many of the items listed. If you need advice or would like to purchase gear, please visit us or check out our online store!
Full Equipment List – PDF: Program Itinerary – Youth Kayaking Camp (ages 12-14 yrs)
Please review the following forms prior to your program. Please sign/initial the forms in the presence of your instructor/guide, who will act as your witness.