- Downtown Victoria
- Oak Bay Paddle Shack
- Saturna Sea Kayaking Outpost
Main Location – Victoria, BCLocated in Victoria, British Columbia, on beautiful Vancouver Island, Ocean River is one of the premier specialty kayak and adventure companies in North America.
Our unique location just north of the Johnson St. Bridge allows us the opportunity to kayak from our own docks and explore Victoria’s wondrous Inner Harbour or if it’s windy and marine traffic to busy, the Upper Harbour and the Gorge Waterway.
Sections Of Victoria’s Harbour
Depending on your perspective, the harbour area surrounding Victoria BC can be broken down into the following areas:
- Victoria’s Cruise Ship Terminal: All the massive ships dock here for loading and unloading of passengers.
- Canadian Coast Guard Station: The Canadian Coast Guard (CCG) maintains a number of major bases and operating stations on the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, as well as in the St. Lawrence River, Great Lakes and major navigable inland waterways.
- Fisherman’s Wharf: This unique marine destination offers food kiosks, unique shops and eco-tour adventures in the heart of the working harbour. There’s an official website @ fishermanswharfvictoria.com
This is a very busy part of the harbour during the day. This area extends northeast to the Johnson Street Bridge where you will find:
- BC Legislative Building
- Fairmont Empress
- Delta Ocean Point Resort
- Coho and Clipper ferry terminals
- Whale Watching boats
- Harbor Ferries
- Seaplane Docks
Upper (Working) Harbour
The upper harbour extends north from the Johnson Street Bridge to the Point Ellice Bridge (also known as the Bay Street Bridge). This is Victoria’s working harbour and is home to a variety of commercial businesses including:
- Point Hope Shipyards
- Victoria Harbour Ferry
- Capital Iron
Ocean River operates from this area allowing us to kayak the best of all worlds.
This area extends northwest from the Point Ellice Bridge to Chapman Point. The Galloping Goose Regional Trail traverses Selkirk Water on a bridge known as the Selkirk Trestle.
Point Ellice House, a National Historic Site overlooks this waterway and is both a museum and a refuge. It holds one of North America’s largest collections of Victoriana. The gardens contain some of the original heritage roses and hollyhocks from the late 1800`s. Tour the house and stay for afternoon tea on the lawn. Selkirk Waterfront is an emerging contemporary mixed-use community that truly delivers the best of all worlds where retail, commercial, residential and public interests work together in a unique urban setting,
Home to the Gorge Waterway Discovery Centre and the Victoria Canoe & Kayak Club. The GO Rowing and Paddling Club are also located along the Gorge waterway with its shoreline parks and residential housing creating a relaxing environment.
The Gorge has a rich history as an important spiritual place and fishing area for First Nations, and a fishing, bathing and recreational area for early Victoria residents.
Tillicum Narrows is located on the Gorge and is the site of the only reversing rapids in western Canada. Reversing rapids are caused by the narrow 45 foot wide pinch point at Tillicum Narrows where a large amount of water is forced through the narrow passage.
For more information on our unique harbours and waterways there’s an excellent resource page for Victoria BC’s harbour on wikipedia.org.
Oak Bay Paddle Shack
East Victoria – Oak Bay Marina Location
Closed for the season
Located in Oak Bay, British Columbia Canada on beautiful Vancouver Island, the Oak Bay Paddle Shack is an easy way to get direct access to Kayak rentals and tours in Oak Bay.
Our rentals office is located just in front of the Oak Bay Marina & Restaurant.
Kayak Rentals In Oak Bay
Depending on your perspective, the Oak Bay area has multiple interest points for kayak and canoe tours:
- Birding: Ducks and Gulls frequent the beach area but we also have bald eagles, great blue heron, and various jays.
- Seals: Harbour seals live around the marina and are often found mooching snacks from the fish cleaning stations.
- Darkness: Designated as an Urban Star Park in 2013, this area is a great place to view the stars at night.
Saturna Sea Kayaking Outpost
Saturna Island – Gulf Islands Location
Closed for the season
Experience the beauty of the Southern Gulf Islands by kayak, at our Saturna Island Outpost!
Departing from Boot Cove, tours often paddle past majestic sandstone rock galleries, and might see nesting sea birds, soaring eagles, or seals resting on rocky outcrops.
Tours depart within walking distance from the ferry and are timed appropriately for day-travelers coming from Vancouver Island.
Kayak Rentals On Saturna Island
Saturna Island has multiple incredible areas to explore for kayak and canoe tours:
- Wildlife: Enthusiasts will find a variety of Ducks and Gulls frequent the beach area but we also have bald eagles, great blue heron, and various jays.
- Botany: Saturna Island is home to abundant variety of rare wild-flowers and plants.
- Rest Areas: The sandy beaches in this bay are great for a swim & rest.
- Learn: Going for an interpretive walk at Saturna Beach can be a great experience.